Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bring on the Mayo!

For ages, I've been hearing about Mayonnaise and the supposed "wonders" it does for your hair. But the thought of smelly mayo in my hair never really appealed to me and it was something I thought I would NEVER want to do. But the familiar saying "Never Say Never" was made evident to me. Curiosity got the best of me and I HAD to know; IS MAYONNAISE REALLY GOOD FOR YOUR HAIR? I went about looking up what Mayonnaise did for your hair and while doing a bit of research I also looked up other things such as eggs, honey, and olive oil. All have different proteins and qualities that help promote your hair's strength, gives hair sheen, and keeps hair moisturized. So, being the curious person that I am, I mixed mayonnaise, pure honey, and one egg together to see what would happen. I didn't see the real point in putting an egg in the mayonnaise since mayonnaise is made of eggs but I said "What the heck?" and threw it in anyway. I used about a 2 cups of mayonnaise, about 3 tables spoons of honey and one egg (all approximations except for the 1 egg of course) and then I stirred them together. The mixture still had the scent of mayonnaise but the consistency was slightly thicker than just plain mayonnaise due to the honey. 
(left) picture of the mayonnaise mixture
(right) after applying the conditioner
Now, before I put this "concoction" into my hair I went on YouTube and other natural hair blogs to see what other people put into their mayonnaise conditioners and a lot of people used some of the same things. The only think I didn't directly put into my mixture was an oil. I wanted to see how the mixture would take to my hair without an oil. So dampened my hair with warm water and I proceeded to put the mayo conditioner into my hair. I was expecting the mixture to remain soft but as I moved on to different sections of my hair I started to realize that the sections I had already finished were beginning to get hard like a mask. After putting the mayonnaise conditioner on my entire head, I put EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) on my entire head as well and put a plastic cover over my hair. I would say I let the conditioner sit in my hair for about an hour. For majority of the time, I was in a hot bath tub. I say this because the extra heat and steam may have played a factor in the results that I got. So after the hour passed, I first rinsed as much as the mayonnaise conditioner as I possibly could with just warm water. My hair was soft and smooth but I still had residue in my hair from the conditioner and I still felt as though the smell was in my hair and I needed it OUT! I washed my hair with Herbal Essences: Hello Hydration Shampoo and finally got the smell and remaining residue out. After doing this I noticed that my curls had more definition and in some parts I had very defined coils. Usually after washing my hair, the ends of my hair would be tightly curled but the rest would be loosely curled. I don't know if this mixture worked or if this was just a time where my hair wanted to be extra nice to me and show me some of it's surprises. So I was wondering. . . has anyone ever tried mayonnaise as a conditioner? And if so, what things did you add to you're mixtures? And what results did you get? Feel free to let us know either on here (by clicking the link that says "comments" below) or our twitter page( link located on the bar at the bottom of the page)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment