Sunday, January 22, 2012

Castor Oil Hair Challenge!

  A lot of people don't know this about me but my hair is really thin on the sides almost to the point that its practically GONE! When I was little my mom made my ponytails SUPER TIGHT!!! My hair was so thin and couldn't take it and slowly began breaking off on the sides. Growing up as a child this made me really self conscious and I did my very best to hide it. I felt as if people would make cruel jokes about my hair and laugh at me. When first starting this blog I knew I would have to share this part of myself but that still doesn't make it any easier. Part of building confidence is not being afraid to freely let your imperfections show and not being ashamed. So this is me letting it all hang out.
                                                                     
 Whewww *sigh of relief* It feels great to talk about my thin sides and not feel ashamed and uncomfortable. Lately I've been hearing a lot of hype about castor oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil to be specific. Castor Oil has many useful hair benefits such as :
1.Thickening Hair that is beginning to thin
2.Reduce/Prevent hair damage
3.Prevents dry scalp
4.Deeply conditions/moisturizes hair and scalp
Most importantly castor oil INCREASES HAIR GROWTH!!!

  After doing my research I decided to make a natural hair challenge for myself. For the next 8 weeks I will deep condition my hair with castor oil at least once a week I've come up with a weekly regiment that I believe will give me he best resuts.
Weekly Regiment
1. Apply castor oil on edges, all throughout scalp,and on the ends of hair
-Allow Castor oil to sit in hair for at least 5 hours (Longer if possible)
2.Shampoo hair with SULFATE FREE Coconut Milk Organix and apply Coconut Milk Organix Conditioner
-Gently Brush or Comb hair after applying conditioner
3.Apply Coconut Organix Split Ends Mender all throughout hair
4.When styling hair only use Raw Shea Butter
-Be careful not to use too much to avoid causing a build up
5.Before going outside make sure to seal moisture in hair use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

   I test ran my weekly regiment January 18th. I applied the castor oil to my dry hair and scalp and then put a shower cap on my head. The shower cap helped to prevent getting the castor oil all over my pillows and clothes. I left the oil in my hair overnight. By the time I went to wash the castor oil out, my hair was really soft and some of it had turned into little curls.


 I styled my hair in a twist-out using the raw shea butter. Before applying the shea butter in my hair I put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds. This just made the butter softer making it easier for me to work it through my hair.


  Even though this is only Week one of my natural hair challenge I'm really loving the results so far. My hair feels a little bit stronger already and has a nice shine to it that I could only get before by loading tons of product in my hair. The ultimate goal of this natural hair challenge is to make my sides grow back in. I'm hoping for the best and will keep you all posted on my progress:)

2 comments:

  1. I love castor oil! I use it in my hair a lot. I use it in my deep condition, in my spray water mix I use during the summer months. I don't do the overnight condition, about an hour works for me. Look into EOs like clove and rosemary. I will definitely keep up with your progress. Good luck with your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading our blog:) I will definitely look into the rosemary and clove thanks a lot for the tips!

      Delete